12 November, 2007

Where Javascript Helps the User Experience.

     As is well known by a good deal of the regular readers of this blog, I have moved back into the world of being an independent Software Engineer, in an open ended contract with Pinchazo Publishing Group, Inc.  Their best known publications are Nylon (featured recently in the newest iPhone commercials from Apple), and the recently re-launched Inked, a tattoo-culture centric magazine, both of which are distributed globally.  

I bring up all of these specifics because it marks a decidedly big shift in my own coding career.  I have traditionally worked on back-end and middle-ware systems, making incompatible systems play nicely together, hardly have I ever had to deal with front ends and end user interactivity.  Sure, I did the web page for Thelesis, a non-profit group, including the framework and almost all graphics, and continue to maintain that site to this very day.  As a whole though, I never felt a desire to deal with the front end, I like the logic behind the interface point of view.  Well, now I'm in a situation where I'm needed to make tools with which end users will interact primarily.  Odd change eh?

It was at my previous employer, Blue Gravity Communications, a wonderful FreeBSD centric (with some Linux) hosting company that I found myself needing to really start to learn Javascript in order to convenience the end users in the selection processes.  It was here that I started to learn more about a language with which I never thought I would have a need.   I couple this to mention from a good friend about a post from a wonderful developer (my aforementioned friend's previous co-worker), regarding how wonderful javascript can be in one's toolbox.

With all of this in mind, I needed to jump into the world of user friendly interfaces.  I know from my own experiences perusing the web that I know what a non-intrusive interface is like, but it really isn't best to ask developers what a good interface is all about.  By nature, we are far simpler in our needs and all too willing to overlook certain practises that we don't see as a problem.  Keep in mind, many developers, myself included, still prefer command line interfaces because of how much quicker they generally are.  

I've already called upon javascript for certain pre-submit form checking, which is ultimately a convenience to the end user because it saves them having to reload the page, or worse off, play hit and miss with multiple loops of the process of submitting and seeing what was wrong with their form submission.  This is a very unfriendly approach in 2007 which is sadly still utilised by many large web based corporations.  

This time was different as I was coding the first version (what I would normally tag as a beta) of Inked magazine's online tattoo gallery.  The concept is simple, allow users (and store owners) to upload tattoo photos for general viewing on the website, and if a specific photo is from a tattoo shop/parlour in our tattoo shop database (covering 4 out of every 5 shops in the United States), make a link to that shop so that browsers of the gallery can associate certain quality work with a given producer of body art.  Very simple, great use for your standard LAMP (in this case BAMP [BSD, Apache, MySQL and Python]) configuration. 

However, end users could care less about the underlying technology, they care about ease of use.   It was with this mentality in mind that I approached the gallery's first incarnation.   Limit the amount of non-photo graphics (for speed), limit the amount of time a page actually needs to be refreshed and/or requested, and make the controls relevant and simple to understand.

This was (I believe successfully) achieved by use of a strong reliable template engine for the purpose of controlling what user control elements were presented for navigation on any given screen.  Ultimately, if a person is browsing paginated libraries of content, we only wish to have he navigation controls relevant to where said individual is in their browsing activities, visible.  Meaning that if a person is on the first page of a five page gallery, don't render the button that links to the first page, and don't render the button which links to the previous page (as it is non-existant).  Likewise, we don't want have buttons for the "next" page, or the "final page" when we're actually on it.  This may seem logical, which I'd like to think it is, yet so many seem to overlook these kinds of details.  These are details which can cause frustration from users who unintentionally click on a button which goes to the same page they are already browsing, or in the case of a "ghosted" button, make them wonder why it isn't working at all.  Only present that which is needed, and nothing else if at all possible.

More importantly, and even less obstructive, javascript for auto-zooming the photo gallery images themselves without having to pop-up a window, or even worse, replace the current viewing page with a simple image link or dedicated page with headers and footers in addition to the image.  These elements are time killers, and javascript is one wonderful way in which to resolve the problem.  Not only does this kind of visual add an interactive feel to the page(s), far more similar to the way a user would experience their own operating system (especially these days with candy like OSes), but it means they aren't hindered by unnecessary delays and can focus clearly on that for which they came to the page in the first place.  To view photos of tattoos that interest them, or share theirs with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment