07 November, 2007

Cheetah, Python's Powerful Template Engine

About six months ago I wrote an entry about using the Template Toolkit for perl, and how I found that it was almost as if giving perl a little taste of Python. Now, fast forward to present time and I find myself as my own boss once again and in a dedicated open-ended contract with Pinchazo Publishing Group for Nylon Magazine and more recently, Inked Magazine. This opportunity has also proved to be beneficial for me in that I get to choose the technologies with which to arm these businesses moving forward for their presence on the internet.

This brings me to some realisations to which i came today. Python's template engine "Cheetah" is considerably better than aforementioned Template Toolkit for perl. I'm currently writing a new online gallery application using Python, MySQL, Javascript, CSS and of course HTML on a BSD server running Apache 2.2. Today was the first actual coding day for implementing my design, and while there were certain changes of some underlying routines, I have to say that it is moving along much quicker and smoother than alloted/anticipated. I attribute this heavily to the ease of use found within the Cheetah library.

Some template engines add a quasi familiar set of language constructs which make using such a system doable but with that kludgey feeling. That is not that case with Cheetah and in true Python fashion, it integrates using constructs that closely parallel the standard Python syntax, as well as offering several additional alternatives to help adapt in various situations and code bases.

The beauty of using template system (as has been said before) is that you add an additional layer of separation of code from display to the point that in team/diverse environments, the coders and artists don't interfere with one another. A simple protocol of self-discipline for each individual to stick to their roles ensures that both content and display functionalities can be developed, and changed simultaneously without concern over coordinating the end result. The busier the schedule, the crazier the deadline, the quicker (and with a much higher level of confidence and lower level of stress) that a project can be implemented/modified/redesigned.

Once the gallery is fully operational, I will be updating this post to add a working link to the site. It should only be a few days from the committal of this blog entry, so keep up to date by subscribing via the codedevl rss feed (courtesy of atom).

No comments:

Post a Comment