07 July, 2007

Java Redux. Redux.

I was perusing the internet last evening to pass the time before getting into a vicious round of Champions of Norrath : Return to Arms with my lovely wife.  I had Java on my mind for a bit of the commute home and as such decided to do a bit of googling.  For whatever reason, I decided to lookup “Java for Python Programmers" much along the lines of a great "Perl to Python Migration" book I'd acquired years back.  To my utter shock, results were actually returned.  


This whole 'ordeal' with Java has been going on with me for something over 7 years.  I started teaching myself Java way back when, but found it to be utterly too verbose for productivity, opting for perl in its place.  Then perl very quickly proved to be lacking when it came to large projects, and code cleanliness (by design mind you, I have written production code which after 7 years upon seeing it again, was very easy to follow in spite of its 7,000+ line codebase), and utter hackishness about it, regardless of the raw power.  I moved to Python both personally and then shortly thereafter, professionally where I enjoy myself most.  


However, there are certain things I've come to realise over the past many years, more so over the past few specifically.  One is that I should force myself to code in one of the behemoth languages to the point of solid fluency regardless of how dreadfully painful it can be.  Two is that most jobs are hybrid these days and require a wider set of disciplines in terms of technologies, languages and toolsets than in the past, and whilst I don't have any need for Java in my current work endeavours, it doesn't negate said need in the future.  Three is that Java makes the most sense being that C/C++ are for all purposes outside of hardware tied code (such as operating systems, device drivers, compilers), dead for application creation, period.


And so it is that I venture forth again into the wonderful realm of re-re-learning the evil behemoth formerly known as oak.  May she not be as cruel a mistress as in the past as my understandings of her workings have been greatly enhanced thanks to python sharing so many of those conceptual designs and paradigms coupled with my adoration for the latter language.  


Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment